Good hello! This is a digital collection of early Negativland ephemera, mostly in the form of
out-of-print audio recordings. This collection is provided as a public service for Negativland fans who want to hear their
older recordings. You'll find that many of these pieces are as good as their recent studio work.
Most of these were collected through Snuggles, the Negativland fan mailing list. Thanks to all
of the contributors for sharing.
Here you go! All the early Negativland tracks fom the out-of-print and cassette-only compilations
listed in the ESCAPE FROM NOISE discography.
- "1-20" from LOCAL INTERNATIONAL (1984)
- "Paul McCartney's Penis" from NORTHERN CALIFORNIA IS A NOISY PLACE INDEED (1987)
- "Radio Advertising" from OBJEKT 3 (1987)
- "General Cavendish" from ZAMIZDAT TRADE JOURNAL (1987)
- "Play It Again" from UNSOUND's last issue (1987)
- "Perfect Scrambled Eggs" from POTATOES (1987)
- "Edit of All Things Considered show" from the June 1989 OTE show "Where Are We Now?", taken from the Over the Edge compilations available from Negativland. Don and Chris were interviewed by an NPR reporter, and they offered to edit the interview for NPR. This is the three-minute-plus edit that Don turned in; note the stereophonic edits throughout the piece, indicating that actual tape splicing was being done.
- "TDK New Music Report promo" (1991). This is not strictly a Negativland recording, but I include it here out of completeness. It's a short track from a CD of an episode of the TDK New Music Report, an hour-long show that TDK was sending off to college radio stations around 1991. I seem to recall that it didn't last for very long; maybe a year or so. This particular promo was a short news item on the "U2" single, and included some unexpurgated audio from the Radio Edit track. TDK, of course, alerted people to the raw language with a brief disclaimer (34 Kb PDF).
- "Tribal Mandate" from BOB'S MEDIA ECOLOGY 2 (1993)
- "You Must Choose" from LIVE AT THE KNITTING FACTORY VOL 3 (1993)
- True/False tour (2000) promotional spots:
This section is for printed documents from Negativland's history.
- Negativland press kit, circa September 1983
Thanks to an eBay seller, I am able to bring you this look at how Negativland were promoting themselves in the early years!
- Negativland catalog from 1991
- A 1991 letter/catalog from Negativland, via T.E.C. Tones. The date on this letter is September 1991,
which places it right at the time that the U2 single was released. Indeed, the catalog description
of the single includes the frivolous-sounding (yet totally accurate) sentence, "this one might
actually get us into the most trouble yet." Available as a PDF
(2.18 MB) or plain text file.
- FU2 / Stupidland
- The namesake of this Website! The FU2 compilation was announced just after the Island Records/Casey Kasem nonsense as documented in
Negativland's FAIR USE book. Hosted by the awesome Sensory Research.
- Snuggles mail list
- Where it all began. The traffic has died way down in recent years, but you can still find people around if you send your query to the list.
- Negativland's official site
- This is your best bet to try to get Negativland albums, but don't expect too much in the way of updates.
Negativland isn't too focused on keeping people in the know, not even their fans.
Hosting by Gandi ♦
Fancy by jQuery ♦
Design by accident ♦
ART IS NOT DEFINED AS A BUSINESS